Can I Refinish Bamboo Floors?
Bamboo flooring is a great option for those who are looking for something that’s similar to wood but that is more environmentally friendly. Because bamboo is a commonly found grass, it’s one of the most sustainable flooring materials available. It also has an aesthetic that is very similar to wood but is unique in its own way.
However, before you choose to use bamboo, you’re probably wondering if it’s possible to refinish it? Although bamboo is very durable, it – like wood – can be vulnerable to surface scratches. This is because bamboo is often heated to deepen its color, which leaves it softer and more prone to scratching. Fortunately, you can refinish bamboo flooring to eliminate such visual flaws.
Refinishing Your Bamboo Floors
The first thing you’re going to have to do if you want to remove visual flaws from your bamboo floors is to sand the bamboo down. This will help remove the original finish as well as buff out any surface scratches. The following are the steps that have to be taken in order to sand down bamboo flooring:
- Prepare the area – Remove the baseboards around the room in which the bamboo flooring is installed so that they aren’t accidentally damaged. Remove all furniture.
- Prepare the disc sander – You’re going to need to use 220 grit sandpaper in your disc sander.
- Sanding the floor – The process of sanding the bamboo floor should begin at the far end of the room. The disc sander needs to be run across the floor in a sweeping motion from left to right. Once the center of the room is reached, you should turn towards the opposite side of the room and begin from the edge, working back towards the center once more.
- Swap out the sandpaper – A finer, 300-grit sandpaper should be installed into your disc sander. Then you’ll need to sand the floor a second time. This will help remove the finer surface scratches.
- Refinish the bamboo – Once you’ve done a second sanding of the bamboo flooring, it’s time to refinish the bamboo. Make sure that you use a finish that is specifically for the use of bamboo flooring. Not all finishes will have the desired effect on your bamboo – it all depends on the type of bamboo flooring you have. Because of this, it’s a good idea to speak to a professional about it.
- Perform a final sanding – Once the floor has been refinished and you’ve allowed it to dry, you’ll want to use the finest sandpaper available to go back over it one final time.
After the final sanding, you can wash the floor in order to remove the dust as well as put the baseboards back.
Because operating a disc sander isn’t easy – and sanding your bamboo floor evenly without damaging the bamboo is quite challenging to say the least, it’s a smart idea to allow a professional to sand and refinish your bamboo floors. Not to mention that applying a new finish can be quite tricky as well.
Hardwood Floor Refinishing in Maryland, Washington, DC & Northern Virginia
Fill out the form below and an AG Construction representative will contact you soon.
Contact Us Today
Whether you own a home or business, we’re your single source for complete flooring installation services! Our comprehensive services include:
- Hardwood staining, sanding, refinishing, restoration, and more!
- Carpet removal and installation
- Vinyl luxury plank replacement and installation
- Vinyl tile and COREtec installation
- And more!