DIY Hardwood Refinishing vs Professional Hardwood Refinishing
One of the big benefits of having hardwood flooring is that if it sustains any aesthetic wear and tear over time, such as scratches and scuff marks, you can simply refinish it and it will look as good as new. However, before you decide that refinishing your hardwood flooring is the perfect DIY job, you might want to think about what it takes to actually refinish your hardwood floors. It’s not as simple as just applying another coat of finish – in fact, the process of refinishing is incredibly involved and takes a lot of know-how, time and effort to do properly.
The following are the things that it’s going to take to refinish your hardwood floors:
- You’re going to need a lot of time – It’s going to take a decent amount of time to refinish your hardwood floors. It will most likely take at least two to three days just to do the job of refinishing your floors. On top of that, you’ll need another two days to let the final coat of sealant to dry until you can use the floors again. Are you going to be able to set aside five days out of your schedule to dedicate to refinishing your floors on your own?
- You’ll need to know how to sand the floor – Using a sanding machine isn’t easy if you’ve never used one before. Not only can they be heavy and cumbersome to operate, but it’s no easy task sanding your floor evenly and without leaving scuff marks.
- You’ll need to stain the floor – You have to apply the stain in thin, even layers or else you’ll have uneven patches. This is more difficult than it might sound.
- You’re going to have to purchase a lot of tools and materials – More often than not, homeowners will attempt to do a home improvement job on their own because they think that it will save them some money over hiring a professional. This may not be the case with refinishing your floors. This is because you are going to need a lot of materials and tools to do the job right. The following are just some of the materials and tools that you’ll need:
- Basic materials – This includes masking tape, tack cloth, rags, brushes, a sealant stirrer, paint trays, plastic tarp, sponges, long handle foam rollers and a vacuum cleaner.
- Protective clothing – You may need to use dust masks, goggles, earplugs, vinyl gloves, vapor respirators and a boiler suit to help keep yourself safe while sanding and finishing.
- Sanding machines – You’ll need a large random-orbital sander as well as several sanding disks, including 60-, 80-, 100- and 240-grit discs. You’ll also need a small random-orbital sander, also referred to as an edging sander.
- Finish and sealant – You’ll need the right oil-based stain color as well as a polyurethane sealant.
As you can imagine, a lot can go wrong if you don’t know what you’re doing. A professional has the know-how, experience and tools to do the job properly.
Professional Hardwood Refinishing in Maryland
We are a MHIC licensed hardwood floor installer and refinisher dedicated to providing customers with the highest quality craftsmanship. As part of your refinishing project, owner Aaron Goodman will personally oversee the entire process – from your initial (and free!) estimate to completion.
If you’re looking for affordable hardwood floor refinishing in Maryland, Washington, DC or Northern Virginia, contact AG Construction today to schedule a free estimate.
Fill out the form below and an AG Construction representative will contact you soon.
Contact Us Today
Whether you own a home or business, we’re your single source for complete flooring installation services! Our comprehensive services include:
- Hardwood staining, sanding, refinishing, restoration, and more!
- Carpet removal and installation
- Vinyl luxury plank replacement and installation
- Vinyl tile and COREtec installation
- And more!