Hardwood Scratch Removal
Hardwood is one of the most popular types of flooring materials. This should come as no surprise, considering its overall durability and traditional beauty. However, hardwood floors do have their drawbacks. One of the biggest drawbacks of having hardwood flooring is that hardwood is somewhat vulnerable to scratches. A scratched up hardwood floor can be quite an eyesore, but fortunately, hardwood scratch removal in Maryland homes is possible. The following are a few tips for removing hardwood scratches:
- Fixing light scratches – First of all, clean the affected area using a hardwood floor cleaner to remove any contaminants. Rinse the cleaner off using a damp rag, then let the wood dry. Once it’s dry, simply apply a thin layer of protective finish, such as sealer or or some kind of polyurethane varnish, to the scratch. It should be the same type of finish that was already used on your floor. If you use the wrong type of finish, it will stand out from the rest of your hardwood, creating an even bigger eyesore.
- Fixing shallow scratches – If the scratch is slightly worse, begin in the same way by cleaning the affected area, rinsing it and letting it dry. Once you’ve done this, you’ll want to gently sand the scratch using fine steel wool. Sand with the grain of the wood until the scratch blends into the wood. Wipe away the dust and then rub a wax stick over the sanded area before buffing the wax with a soft cloth.
- Fixing deep scratches – Fixing deeper scratches is a little bit more of a challenge. Begin by cleaning the area with hardwood cleaner. Wait until it has dried. If your hardwood flooring is covered with polyurethane coating, then you’re going to have to remove the layer before you can begin fixing the scratch. Once it’s removed, use a scouring pad soaked in mineral spirits to gently rub the affected area of the floor. Once you’ve done this, wipe it down and let the wood dry. Once the wood is dry, you’ll want to apply wood filler that’s the same color as your hardwood. Fill the scratch in with the filler and wipe away any excess filling using a putty knife. It can take a few hours or a day for it to dry. Once it is dry, you’ll want to sand the affected area. Wipe away the dust and any more excessive filling and then seal the area. Be sure to use the same sealer that was used on the rest of the floor.
These are a few methods for removing scratches in your hardwood flooring. Although you can attempt to remove the scratches yourself, you should keep in mind that a professional will perform hardwood scratch removal in Maryland homes much more effectively. This is especially true when it comes to repairing deeper scratches, which require a much more involved process. You could end up doing more damage than good if you don’t know what you are doing.
Professional Hardwood Restoration in Maryland
Our technicians are skilled in bringing out the natural beauty of all types of woods and we only use high quality, environmentally friendly, and odorless hardwood floor finishes.
Call AG Construction or contact us online to schedule a free estimate for hardwood floor restoration in Maryland, Washington, DC, or Northern Virginia.
Fill out the form below and an AG Construction representative will contact you soon.
Contact Us Today
Whether you own a home or business, we’re your single source for complete flooring installation services! Our comprehensive services include:
- Hardwood staining, sanding, refinishing, restoration, and more!
- Carpet removal and installation
- Vinyl luxury plank replacement and installation
- Vinyl tile and COREtec installation
- And more!