Should I Replace or Refinish my Hardwood?
Because of its traditional aesthetic as well as its overall durability, hardwood has always been one of the most popular flooring options. However, it’s not without its faults – it can experience damage in a number of ways. Hardwood flooring can be vulnerable to moisture, scratches and fading (caused by the exposure to UV rays over time). When any of this damage occurs, you’re left with two options: replace your hardwood or refinish it. But how do you choose between the two?
Refinishing Your Hardwood Floors
The following are some of the reasons you might want to consider refinishing your hardwood floors instead of replacing them:
- Refinishing is less expensive – Replacing hardwood flooring is much more expensive – it not only requires more manual labor in order to rip out your existing hardwood, dispose of it and then install new flooring, but it also requires you to buy new hardwood flooring as well.
- Refinishing is more environmentally-friendly – As long as the company you are working with uses an environmentally-friendly process to refinish your floors, it will be a much more eco-friendly option than replacing your hardwood, especially since you are contributing to not just deforestation (unless the new hardwood you purchase comes from a sustainable source), but also the environmental effects of transporting that wood from the factory to your property.
- Only a few panels are damaged – If most of your floor is in good condition and only a few panels have been damaged, then refinishing is a good option – especially if you want to keep the look of the flooring you have.
Replacing Your Hardwood Floors
The following are a few benefits of replacing your hardwood floors:
- Replacing hardwood flooring can take less time – Considering the amount of work involved with tearing up your old floor and replacing new floor, you might be surprised at the fact that replacing your floor can take less time than refinishing it. Refinishing can actually be a very messy process that takes a long time to do properly.
- Your entire floor is in bad condition – If it’s not just a small section of your floor that is damaged, but your entire floor is in bad shape, then you might as well go ahead and replace the entire thing. For example, if your floors are really old and beginning to decay, and they feel soft and bouncy when you walk across them.
- You want a new style – While refinishing your floor can help spruce up its look somewhat, if you want a completely new visual style, then you’re better off finding a new type of hardwood flooring to install. One of the biggest benefits of hardwood flooring is that there are so many types to choose from, which means you can install a completely different looking type of hardwood.
Hardwood Refinishing & Replacement in Maryland
Be sure to consider these things when deciding whether to refinish or replace your hardwood flooring. For more information or advice concerning your hardwood floors, be sure to contact us at AG Construction today.
Fill out the form below and an AG Construction representative will contact you soon.
Contact Us Today
Whether you own a home or business, we’re your single source for complete flooring installation services! Our comprehensive services include:
- Hardwood staining, sanding, refinishing, restoration, and more!
- Carpet removal and installation
- Vinyl luxury plank replacement and installation
- Vinyl tile and COREtec installation
- And more!